“It has always been a priority of the NDP to invest in the Francophone community, support language rights and encourage economic and cultural development in St Boniface. We know the value of community programs and cultural organizations. I have worked extensively with the SFM, L’Universite de Saint-Boniface, Accueil Francophone and Alliances des femmes de la francophonie canadienne, and am ready to stand up against the cuts to our organizations.What is the problem?
Over the past 2 years, the Pallister Government has been making cuts to our cultural programs and institutions.
- CUT 25% of the World Trade Centre Budget
- CUT 37% of the funding to Centre Flavie-Laurent
- CUT 50% of the funding for Maison Gabrielle-Roy
- CUT 20% of the funding for CDEM
- CUT $300,000 from Festival du Voyageur
What is our solution?
The NDP knows supports for community organizations is key to building our Francophone community. Cuts to programs hurt our artistic and cultural legacy. We need more supports, not less.
We commit to:
- Reinstate the cut funding to our St Boniface cultural organizations that support and advance the gifts of our Francophone community programs.
- Increase supports for non-profit organizations, like Centre Flavie-Laurent and invest in community services, like a new pool for the Norwood Community Centre.